Dr. Warrick R. Hooper
Warrick is the founder, director and principal practitioner of The Spinal Centre practice.
He began his career studying science at Monash University with a focus on Analytical and Organic Chemistry. At the time he was rowing for Mercantile Rowing Club and was selected to represent the state in the Victorian Youth VIII. After wining the Victorian Championships, NSW Championships and National Championships the crew raced up a division in the Senior B category and won consecutive Australian Under 23 Championships.
Whilst at Monash University, he gained selection in the Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS), being awarded a full Scholarship and then selection to the Australian Rowing Team to compete and win the ‘Trans Tasman Rowing Series’. In his spare time Warrick stroked the Monash University VIII winning the Australian Inter-varsity Rowing Championships. For his efforts he was awarded a ‘Full Blue’ – the highest sporting honour from Monash University.
Returning to Mercantile Rowing Club he rowed with the “Oarsome Foursome” again wining State and National Championship in the Elite Senior A division as well as the prestigious ‘Kings Cup” – Champion Australian VIII. On selection to The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in Canberra, he received a full scholarship for rowing and therefore transferred to The Australian National University to his biomedical science degree.
While completing studies in Advanced Neuroscience and Molecular Genetics he had the honour of rowing for Australia and competing at the European Rowing Championships, Royal Henley Regatta and World Championships. With an extensive knowledge of neuroanatomy and physiology, he then progressed to Chiropractic. At the time, the Chiropractic degree was a very heavy 5 year program, with up to 38 hours contact hours per week and ‘summer schools’ running from January to March prior to the standard University year.
On graduation he became a Doctor of Chiropractic. The use of the title ‘Doctor’ for Dr. Hooper, as per the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency authority, refers to a Doctor of Chiropractic. Beyond this, Dr. Hooper has furthered his expertise in the areas of holistic health including Chinese medicine and Natural Medicine, specialising with a Masters in Acupuncture. For the award of his Masters Degree, he completed a thesis on the treatment of spinal pain and lower back disc injuries using clinical acupuncture.
He is the editor of the highly successful Emed.com.au natural medicine website which receives over 2,800,000 hits per month. His highly informative and innovative weekly email is read by nearly 20,000 members (including patients, doctors and other health care practitioners) each week, all across the world.
Dr. Hooper practices as an Integrative Medicine Physician utilising extensive University training from the following fields:
- Advanced Neuroscience
- Molecular Genetics
- Chiropractic Sciences
- Sports and Performance Chiropractic
- Clinical and Neurologically Based Acupuncture
- Chinese Medicine
- Orthomolecular Medicine
- Clinical Nutrition
Dr. Hooper utilises Integrative Medicine as the platform for treatment of patients to enhance health and assist with complex spinal injuries, pain and disability. Integrative Medicine looks at all aspects of the body applying conservative based treatments across a number of fields of health disciplines. All treatment protocols are based on what you require as a patient; drawing from knowledge across multiple fields of learning; to provide the best care possible. As father of five, he has a keen interest in assisting the health needs of families and children. He is passionate about the use of natural medicine and better nutrition within his own family, his practice and his internet based clients.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Advanced Neuroscience and Molecular Genetics at The Australian National University.
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Chiropractic Science at RMIT University.
- Doctor of Chiropractic
- Graduate Certificate of Acupuncture at RMIT University.
- Master of Applied Science in Chinese Medicine – Clinical Acupuncture at RMIT University.
- Diplomate of the National Board of Chiropractic – USA.
- Member of the Australian Chiropractic Association – CAA.
- Registered Doctor of Chiropractic with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Registered Acupuncturist with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
Elite Sporting Background
With an extensive sporting background, Dr. Hooper has developed a number of nutritional protocols for top athletes. The science of nutrition in the treatment of athletes has helped maintain him at the cutting edge of current trends in natural and orthomolecular medicine. Dr. Hooper was a full scholarship athlete of the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), the Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS), and member of the 1992 Olympic rowing squad and “Oarsome Foursome”.
He was a multiple Australian Rowing Champion and multiple Victorian Rowing Champion. Warrick was also winner of the prestigious “Kings Cup” the Champion Rowing VIII’s of Australia. He represented Australia and formed part of the Australian Rowing Team from 1989 to 1991. The Australian Rowing team competed in Austria, Britain, Holland, New Zealand, Switzerland and Germany during these years. Dr. Hooper stays fit with kayaking, mountain biking, kite surfing and running. He mentors numerous athletes across a range of sporting disciplines.
- 14 time Victorian State Rowing Champion
- 9 time Australian National Rowing Champion
- Winner of the Australian Youth, Senior B and Open Championships
- Winner of the Australian Kings Cup – fastest crew in Australia
- Australian University Rowing Champion
- Awarded a “Full Blue” for Rowing at Monash University
- Athlete of the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) – Canberra
- Athlete of the Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS)
- Member of the “Oarsome Foursome” – State and National Champions
- Member of the Australian Olympic Rowing Squad
- Member of the Australian Rowing Team 1989, 1990, 1991
- Competitor of the World Rowing Championships 1990 – Placed 8th
- Competitor of the European Rowing Championships 1990 – Placed 4th
- Winner of the Trans-Tasman International Series in New Zealand 1989
- Placed fifth in the 2003 Kayak Murray Marathon
- Winner of the 2005 Kayak Echuca Mini Marathon
- Winner of the 2005 Cobram 40 miler Kayak Marathon
- Winner of the 2005 Red Cross Murray Marathon; open relay.